DEACON TOM ANTHONY

Sunday, April 15, 2018

A REFLECTION FROM ONE OF MY FRIENDS







WHAT THE DISEASE OF ALCOHOLISM MEANS TO ME




Alcoholism might be considered a disease but it is one that acts like no other. She is the most beautiful women in the world. A seductress luring me into a world and into situations that I knows will be bad for me in the long- term but oh’ so good in the short-term physically and mentally. This woman will make promises: I can work harder, feel better about myself, can laugh, feel no pain, make friends, and fly to the highest of heights without the fear of falling. Also, if by the slightest of chances, I do fall down, it will be alright: I won’t remember a thing except darkness and I can use her as an excuse. She will be my strongest ally. She will also help me to lie, cheat, and steal. This I will do because I love her so much and want more of her. She will reward me for this. She will always make any situation better. Or so I thought.

This frenzy of emotion has lasted for years. Alcoholism has been one of the longest relationships I have ever had. Yet, as years pass her demands become more. Friends are alienated and relationships are compromised so that she may have me as her own. Then, when we are finally alone, she turns on me and tears out my soul until there is nothing left of who I was or the values I treasured.

 In the Bible, in the Book of Proverbs, there is a verse that says, “

Then out came a woman to meet him,
    dressed like a prostitute and with crafty intent.
11 (She is unruly and defiant,
    her feet never stay at home;
12 now in the street, now in the squares,
    at every corner she lurks.)
13 She took hold of him and kissed him
    and with a brazen face she said:
14 “Today I fulfilled my vows,
    and I have food from my fellowship offering at home.
15 So I came out to meet you;
    I looked for you and have found you!
16 I have covered my bed
    with colored linens from Egypt.
17 I have perfumed my bed
    with myrrh, aloes and cinnamon.
18 Come, let’s drink deeply of love till morning;
    let’s enjoy ourselves with love!
19 My husband is not at home;
    he has gone on a long journey.

20 He took his purse filled with money
    and will not be home till full moon.”
21 With persuasive words she led him astray;
    she seduced him with her smooth talk.
22 All at once he followed her
    like an ox going to the slaughter,
like a deer[a] stepping into a noose[b]
23     till an arrow pierces his liver,
like a bird darting into a snare,
    little knowing it will cost him his life.”
She is that woman dressed like a prostitute and I long for her companionship even thought I also know what it will bring me. This is what the Disease of Alcohol is to me. She comes forward professing love and the treasures of life but will soon swallow me whole and turn on me. I become like an ox going to the slaughter and to utter destruction. My thoughts are transformed into her thoughts and I obey everything she says until I am finally dead.

Jonathan Striker





No comments:

Post a Comment