DEACON TOM ANTHONY

Sunday, June 30, 2013





I wanted to share an experience I had that displayed the presence of God in our daily lives and revealed to me that we all are Brothers and Sisters through Our Lord Jesus Christ. Yesterday was my day off. I spent most of the day doing work around the house and keeping up with the demands of family life. It was a good day. A warm summer day that caused me to pause and thank God for everything. I started by working on my grandfather's boat and cleaning the pool. I ended by installing a new faucet in my bathroom. It was the type of day off that I liked: I was in my bathing suit, t-shirt, and sandals all day. I looked like your typical California beach bum. I plodded along through the day with my hair down and with an attitude that things had to get done but not too quickly. Life was good.

While working on the boat engine, I needed to go to the marina. I had no idea what I was doing because my grandfather's engine was totally different than any boat engine I had dealt with before. I was at a total loss. An older gentleman I met there was more than helpful to guide me in the right direction. We talked for several minutes and he gave me several pointers. He was very friendly and he really didn't have to dedicate the time he did to me. I wasn't an important customer and I wasn't spending a lot of money. He didn't seem to care. He was happy to talk with me and share his experience. I left with a smile. The kindness of this man made all the difference. It was going to be a good day.

My attention then turned towards the faucet in the bathroom. Again, I had no idea what I was doing. I am not a plumber and never pretended to be one. After much effort and hard work, I removed the old faucet with all the attachments included. I then drove to the local Home Depot. I entered the store with the entire fixture in my hand pipes and all. I walked up to another older gentlemen working in the plumbing department. I help up the fixture and said, “I need help.” He smiled and said, “No problem.” We walked around the store together and he personally got me every part I needed so I lacked nothing. He didn't have to do that, yet he did. I was so impressed I told the head cashier and manager about my experience. I walked out of the store with a smile. It was going to be a good day.

As the day faded into night and the last work of the day was complete (the faucet), I then realized something. I was missing my wallet. You see, there was a large hole in the front pocket of my shorts and my wallet already slipped out of it twice. Both times I felt the slow slide of it falling out. I guess the third time I didn't feel it. I looked for it frantically. I went back to Home Depot and searched the parking lot. I then spoke to an employee who told me no one turned in a wallet. I drove back home and searched the house. Nothing. It was gone. I called my bank and suspended all of my accounts. I became frustrated as I started to envision what I would have to do: get another license, order new bank cards, reissue checks that I had written and left in my wallet.

As I was pacing around in my house, my daughter casually walked by and said, “Wait until morning, you'll find it.” I laughed under my breath. She always had this overconfidence that I admired. Whenever she faced even the most seemingly insurmountable obstacle, she possessed a demeanor and understanding that everything was going to be fine. I went to bed for a restless night of sleep.

In the morning, I drove back to Home Depot and check again if maybe someone had found my wallet. As I waited in the parking lot for the store to open, an older woman walked by my car. She was going into work at Home Depot. I told her about my problem. We then started having a conversation. She was retired but needed to go back to work because she lost most of her investments because of the bad economy. She appeared to be very happy and very intent on helping me. She said she would go into the store and search for my wallet before she punched in. She told me not to worry about it and that life was good no matter what we encountered. She dismissed her own problems and waived them off. She looked at me with concern. She said that she really did hope I found my wallet. Could this be a start to a good day?

I received the bad news that no wallet was found. I then started to search my car again. While I was doing this, I was approached by a man who asked me what time Home Depot opened. I told him it wouldn't be for another hour. He then asked me for directions to another store which I gave to him. We had a conversation that diverted me from my mission. He was very nice and very kind. I enjoyed his company. I then sat in my car and prayed to Saint Anthony and to God, “Please just make my wallet appear.” From the moment I got up in the morning, the frustration I was feeling was slowly dissipating. I had time to analyze it now as I was reflecting and praying in the car. God is with me, I know this. If he wants me to find my wallet, he will. If he doesn't, then he doesn't. Either way, I had some enjoyable conversations that made a difference in my life. Could this be a start to a good day?

I drove to the store, got some coffee, and went home. I was planning on checking the mailbox to see if maybe someone put it in there during the night. You never know, I did that on more than one occasion when I found someone's wallet. Instead of walking through the house and out the front door, something told me to walk around to the front of the house. I remember doing something for my daughter there during the night. And there was my wallet in the grass still wet from the morning dew. I laughed. Thank you Saint Anthony. Thank you God.

God, thank you for all the wonderful people I met throughout the day. Each one touched me in a very special way. Yes, my daughter was right. When God is on our side, who can be against us? It's going to be a good day.

Deacon Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment