DEACON TOM ANTHONY

Friday, June 28, 2013






Taking the last few items of my Grandfather and Grandmother's house was a morose experience. I muttered under my breath how sad it was that a person's life could fit into a U Haul Truck. The memories of growing up at Great Road flooded back to me: fire fires, playing war in the field, sleepovers, cookouts, and the garden. There were so many wonderful times that we all felt would never end. It was an assumption that the house and the grandparents would always be there. Now, all of it was being taken away. I understand that nothing on this earth is forever but it still hurts when things fade away.

I took everything that did not have a place to go: the things that my grandfather made with his hands were precious to me and I made an oath never to have them leave the family. I also took the massive wheel-stone that had leaned against the tree at the house for generations. The thing that I cherished the most though was the wooden boat that Grandpa had. Sitting in storage for so many years and becoming a home for a wayward raccoon, there would have to be a lot of work to be done on it, but I didn't care. It was being passed down to the next generation and it was something that my Grandfather enjoyed. It was my obligation to take it and make it run again.

The boat gave me the opportunity to share something with my Grandfather that we both loved: the open water. I owned a boat for five years before and now I had received another one, a very special one indeed. I towed it from the house and parked it in my yard. This was done in the Old New England Tradition: no plate, no running lights, and a questionable tow hitch. Grandpa would be proud.

Yesterday I set about cleaning it. With rubber gloved and sanitizer, I hand-scooped out all the piles of raccoon poop and scrubbed the whole thing down. The brilliant wood shined through. I felt the presence of my Grandfather over my shoulder as I did this. I didn't mind the work. In fact, it made me proud. Soon, I will be on the water and Grandpa will be there every time I throttle forward up the Merrimack. I love you Grandpa and I miss you. Bless me and please watch over me. I need you.

Your Grandson.

No comments:

Post a Comment